In the middle of the square is a Neo-Gothic statue of Charles IV leaning against a sword and holding the deed of foundation of Charles University in Prague. The statue was made in 1848 on the occasion of the 500th anniversary of Charles University. Church of St Francis was built by the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star in the 17th century. The architecture of this Baroque church with an impressive dome has served as an exemplar for many future architects. Another dominant of the square is the Church of the Holy Saviour which belongs to the large Clementinum complex. The Old Town Bridge Tower is one of the most beautiful Gothic gateways in the world. The tower, along with Charles Bridge, was built by Emperor Charles IV according to designs by Petr Parléř in the mid-14 th century. Prague is the capital and largest city in the Czech Republic and the historical capital of Bohemia. Is also home to a number of well-known cultural attractions, many of which survived the violence and destruction of 20th-century Europe. Since 1992, the extensive historic centre of Prague has been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites. The large New City Hall, with its beautiful facade, sits in the middle of Virgin Mary Square which has deep roots back to Medieval times. Today’s New City Hall was built from 1908-1911 in a classic Art Nouveau-style decorated by dozens of statues. Here you will catch your first glimpse of Prague’s tightly packed colorful buildings. The picture-perfect scene in Little Square is a great preview what you will see later on this Old Town Prague walking tour. Little Square is said to be the oldest inhabited part of Prague with homes going back to the 700s. This building, part of the Old Town Hall complex, is a typical example of Czech Renaissance townhouse architecture. The facade, decorated with sgraffito, depicts scenes drawn from biblical and mythological sources, as well as contemporary Renaissance legends. Franz Kafka and his parents lived here from 1889 to 1896. The astronomical clock was placed at the front side of the tower in 1410. At the southern part of the tower a special stone chamber was built for its mechanical part. The astronomical clock consists of different parts – such as a calendar and an astronomical desk or the mechanism of twelve apostles which sets them in motion. On 21 June 1621, 27 Czech Protestants were executed for their role in the Bohemian Revolt, and as a warning to others. The revolt was predominantly driven by religious differences, although there was discontent over power disparities, as well. It is the most famous Baroque church in Prague and is also one of the most valuable Baroque buildings north of the Alps. The dome has an impressive diameter of 20 m, and the interior height to the top of the lantern is over 49 m, making it the highest interior in Prague. It is also an outstanding example of high Baroque decoration. Concerts are held in the church year-round on the historic organ dating to the 18th century. The large monument in the middle of the Old Town Square in Prague is the statue of the reformer Jan Hus, one of the most important personalities in Czech history. A hundred years before the Protestant Reformation was started by Martin Luther, Jan Hus was burnt as a heretic for reformist ideas. This Rococo building on Old Town Square features rich stucco and sculptural decoration. The Kinský Palace has been witness to many historical events. Today it is the seat of the National Gallery in Prague. One of the most impressive Gothic religious buildings in Prague, Church of Our Lady before Týn was built from the mid-14th to the early 16th centuries. The two dominating towers are 262 feet high (80 meters). One tower, Adam, is larger than the other, Eve, a classic Gothic architecture play on feminine and masculine parts of life. At the end of the 17th century, the interior was reworked in Baroque style. The cathedral serves as an extensive gallery of Gothic, Renaissance and Early Baroque works. The most interesting of which include altar paintings by Karel Škréta and the tomb of the astronomer Tycho Brahe. The organ, dating from 1673, is the oldest in Prague. From the 1000’s through the Middle Ages the hidden Ungelt Courtyard (or Merchant Yard) was the main square for foreign merchants coming to sell goods in Prague. This massive three-aisled basilica with a long, high chancel is the third longest church building in Prague. The church was founded in 1232, and was rebuilt in Baroque style in the 18th century. One of the oldest streets in Prague, Celetna Lane, connects the Old Town Square with the Republic Square. It is lined with picturesque houses, adorned with house symbols. This monumental entrance by which the coronation processions of Czech kings entered the Old Town is one of the most significant monuments of Late Gothic Prague. Completed in 1475, the Powder Tower, which formerly served as a gunpowder store, is still the starting point for the Coronation or Royal Route to Prague Castle. The high point of any shopping trip in the city should be Na Příkopě Street, one of its main commercial streets. This hub of retail delights is right in the center of Prague, connecting Wenceslas Square with the Powder Tower. Spanning the entrance to Nekázanka Street are a twin set of beautiful enclosed bridges which resemble the Bridge of Sighs in Venice Italy. The Estates Theatre in Prague is one of the most beautiful historical theatres in Europe and was opened in 1783. The premiere of Mozart’s opera Don Giovanni was given here on October 29, 1787. Havel’s Market is one of the city’s oldest markets dating back to 1232. Over the years, the market has shifted its focus from food products to selling souvenirs, keeping in mind the influx of tourists. Connecting Old Town Square with the Jewish Quarter, Paris Street has high-end shopping that rivals the Champs-Élysées in Paris and 5th Avenue in New York City. This narrow lane is the main artery of Prague’s Jewish Quarter and today is lined with stands selling souvenirs. The surprising Neo-Romanquese Ceremonial Hall (built from 1908-19011) was established by the Burial Society as the Cemetery’s mortuary to prepare the dead for burial. This statue depicts Franz Kafka riding on the shoulders of a headless figure, in reference to the author’s 1912 story “Description of a Struggle”. The Church of the Holy Spirit, built in mid-14th century, is located on the very border of Old Town and former Jewish Quarter. During the reign of Ferdinand I in mid-16th century, Jews had to attend catholic masses served here. The stunning Spanish Synagogue was built in 1868 over the site of the Old School (Alt Schul) Synagogue. Before it was torn down in 1867, the Old Schul had been the oldest synagogue standing in the Prague and marked the true beginning of the Jewish Quarter. The exhibitions held here are focused primarily on local Jewish artists from the late 19th and early 20th century.